There are options to purge data in most of the Sage 100 ERP (F/K/A Sage MAS 90/200) modules. This article will focus on purging inventory.
It is important to note that you are required to retain at least two years of item history. Item history cannot be deleted if the item is still active. If inventory data is needed for reporting beyond two years, then purge through a date that ends on the last day that data is needed.
Use the tasks available on the Inventory Management Utilities menu to purge inventory management data (or Period End menu depending on your version of Sage 100). Remember:
- All users should be out of Sage 100 when these processes are run
- Before you begin, back up your data to external media
- Perform a company copy within Sage 100 (Call Oasis technical support for assistance if you’re not familiar with this procedure!)
- If your Sage 100 programs are customized, please contact Oasis technical support to confirm that it is okay to run these utilities
- Once the above procedures are run, it’s recommended that the related Key files and Sort files be Rebuilt to reduce the size of files where data has been purged
Overview of Removing Zero Quantity Costing Tiers:
Use “Remove Zero Quantity Costing Tiers” to remove the Item Costing Tier file of any zero-quantity costing tiers (for LIFO, FIFO, lot, and serial items only) to create additional file space and streamline lot/serial number distribution. A cost tier is cost information for LIFO, FIFO, lot, and serial items that is retained for each receipt of an item. A cost tier consists of the date, reference, unit cost, and quantity received. A cost tier has a zero quantity when all items are sold or removed from inventory.
- Remove Costing Tiers with Zero Quantities Dated on or Before _______
Enter the date to remove costing tiers with zero quantities by, or click the Calendar button to select a date from the calendar. This field defaults to the current accounting date if the date is within the current period or calendar month of the inventory period defined in Inventory Management Options.
If the date is not within the current period or calendar month, then this field defaults to the ending date of the period or month. You cannot enter a date that is past the ending date of the current month or period.
Overview of Purge Item History:
Use Purge Item History to remove data from miscellaneous item history. This utility can be run from the Common Information or Inventory Management module. If you have Inventory Management installed, the utility will purge both miscellaneous and inventory item history. The System Activity Log is updated with the date, time, company code, user logon, and a message that the Purge Item History utility was run.
To Purge Zero-Quantity Costing Tiers
- Select Inventory Management Utilities menu > Remove Zero Quantity Costing Tiers.
- In the Removing Zero Quantity Costing Tiers window, enter the purge date for removing zero quantity costing tiers. All zero-quantity costing tiers dated on or before this date will be permanently removed from the system.
- Click Proceed. When prompted to remove zero-quantity costing tiers, click Yes.
To Purge Item History
- Select Inventory Management Utilities menu > Purge Item History.
- In the Purge Item History window, enter the year to remove item history data. All history data dated on the year or before will be permanently removed from the system. For more information, see Purge Item History – Fields in Help.
- Click Proceed. When prompted to purge item history data, click Yes.
The selected inventory data is permanently removed from the system, and the system activity log is updated with the date, time, company code, user logon, purge description, and purge date. The above information can also be found in Sage 100 Help.